- Post Date:December 28, 2022
- Views 543
- Career Level OtherQualification DegreeExperience 1-3 Years
AFRODAD is currently looking for a highly experienced professional to fill the position of Project Accountant for the Administration and Finance Team based in Zimbabwe
The African Forum and Network on Debt and Development (AFRODAD) is a Pan-African civil society organisation established in 1996 to advocate for debt cancellation and addressing debt related issues in Africa. Over the past 25 years, AFRODAD has built expertise on public debt management issues and its intersectionality with domestic resource mobilisation, and international public and private finance in Sub-Saharan Africa and continue to be concerned that African economies do not become highly indebted and in debt distress as in the 1980s. We work with Government Officials across Africa, Members of Parliament, Media and Journalists, Civil Society Organisations, and Representatives from the global financial architecture at continental and global levels. We advocate for accountable and transparent public debt and financial management; strengthen legal and policy frameworks to curtail leakages through illicit financial flows and profit shifting; prioritising revenue generating opportunities through all forms of finance in Africa. Our work focuses on influencing African governments and institutions to adopt accountable and transparent public debt management policies and practices for sustainable development and eradication of poverty.
Since our establishment, we have been contributing to finding sustainable solutions to Africa’s challenges in debt and resources mobilisation, including financial development. Our main focus areas are Sovereign Debt Management, Democratisation of the Debt Discourse, Collective Action on Debt and Development and Institutional Development & Sustainability.
Our vision is “A Prosperous Africa based on equitable and sustainable development”.
Our mission is “To contribute to Africa’s inclusive economic growth and sustainable development through influencing policy change on debt management and development finance anchored on a rights-based approach”.
Our motto is “Africa a Rule Maker NOT a Rule Taker”
AFRODAD is currently looking for a highly experienced professional to fill the position of Project Accountant for its Administration and Finance Department.
Over the next five years, AFRODAD will continue to consolidate the strengths of the current F&A systems and procedures as having been identified in various donor organisational assessment reports. To support the realisation of the dispersion model, there will be a process of automation of processes and procedures that will be undertaken in a phased manner to ensure as we automate, we continue to maintain the high standards we have. Simultaneously to the automation process will be a process reviewing all organisational policy documents about the F&A function including petty cash, procurement, and so on. The review will allow for systems and policies to speak to each other. The statutory functions of the team will be maintained and strengthened through opportunities and
Key Results Areas and Related Activities
Ensuring a sound filing system to support the accounting function.
- Preparation of payment vouchers.
- Receipting all income received in the receipt book.
- Filing of all documents of original accounting entry and all other departmental documents.
Ensuring a sound accounting system for financial reporting and accountability.
- Drafting project monthly management financial reports for review by the Finance and Admin Manager.
- Capturing journals in Pastel for review by the Finance Officer.
- Coordination and assist with year-end and interim schedules for both external auditors and internal auditors with the support of the Finance Officer.
- Disbursement of payments, including payroll payments such as ZIMRA, NSSA, CIMAS etc.
- Carrying out debtor analysis and following up on administrative funds due to the organisation.
- Capturing all electronic pastel cashbooks’ entries.
- Receipting and Preparing banking for approval by Finance Manager.
- Checking adequacy, legitimacy and correctness of petty cash vouchers listed in the petty cash system by the Administration Assistant.
- Reconciling office retail purchase cards and fuel cards.
Maintaining sound internal controls for system integrity.
- Preparing project monthly and interim bank reconciliation statements for review by the Finance Officer.
- Checking travel/business meeting advance accounting by staff members for review by the Finance Manager.
- Creditors reconciliation statements.
- Checking consistency of all payment requisitions from all departments with policies, procurement procedures, budgets, and donor requirements.
- Providing financial support and advice to the procurement committee.
- Assisting in the review of finance and Administration policies to ensure strong internal controls.
Financial planning and controlling.
- Preparing cash flow forecasts, monitoring cash flows, for the specific projects and liaising with the Finance Manager for actions.
- Offering support to policy staff and administration on budgeting and budgetary requirements.
Requisite Qualifications and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or any other acceptable business qualification
- Professional qualification such as CIS, ACCA, IAC, CIMA etc (or significant progress towards attaining such) will be an added advantage.
- At least 2 years’ experience in a similar position in a similar organisation.
- Proficiency in pastel accounting software.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications such as excel and word.
Please submit your detailed CV, cover letter, and a 500-word personal statement to firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to:
The Executive Director
African Forum and Network on Debt and Development (AFRODAD)
Please note only applications submitted with ALL THE ABOVE will be considered; AND only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Zimbabwe nationals are strongly encouraged to apply as the post will be based in Zimbabwe. Foreign nationals should have the relevant documentation to work in Zimbabwe.
Closing date: Friday, 30 December 2022