Assistant Research Associate – Crop Modeller
- Post Date:August 24, 2022
- Views 467
- Career Level OtherQualification Master’s DegreeExperience 3-5 Years
- Industry Agriculture
Location: Harare, Zimbabwe
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not -for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated candidate for the position of Assistant Research Associate to be based in our Southern Africa Office in Harare, Zimbabwe. This is a nationally recruited position and is open to all Zimbabweans with excellent academic records and relevant experience. The position will assist with the integration and processing of large data sets from multiple sources, yield gap and resource-use efficiency analysis using farmer field data and experimental data, developing input data standards for crop modelling, and running crop model simulations on a demand basis.
The main responsibilities of this position will be:
- Assist with integration and processing of large data sets of biophysical and agronomic data.
- Assist with the development of minimum and maximum input data standards for crop modeling.
- Conduct descriptive analysis of different data sets and more complex analysis as specified below.
- Conduct crop model simulations, yield gap and resource-use efficiency analysis.
- Assist project and CIMMYT management in any other matters as and when required.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- MSc in Agriculture Science with a strong focus on Agronomy. Proved skills in data science (R and/or Python programming) would be of added value.
- Experience with data analysis skills and familiarity with crop growth simulation models and statistical analysis.
- Proven record of research publications in peer-reviewed international journals.
- Previous work experience at a national or international research center would be an added advantage.
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English.
The selected candidate must be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Critical Thinking,
- Problem-Solving and Decision Making,
- Negotiation and Conflict Resolution and Communication.
To participate in the process for this position, please apply online here for Z22157_Assistant Research Associate – Crop Modeller, no later than Friday, 26 August 2022.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality. Women candidates are encouraged to apply.