Chief Medical Laboratory Scientist
- Post Date:May 1, 2022
- Views 460
- Career Level ExecutiveQualification DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Health Care
The Ministry of Health and Child Care is a Sub-Recipient for the Global Fund New Funding Model grant under the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) as the Principal Recipient (PR). The MOHCC wishes to recruit a Chief Medical Laboratory Scientist to contribute to the successful implementation of the grant
Station: National Microbiology Reference Laboratory
Reports To: NMRL Coordinator
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsible and accountable for the administrative and technical operations of the National Microbiology Reference Laboratory, ensuring the delivery of high-quality diagnostic services for all tests conducted at the reference laboratory. Also serves as laboratory technical advisor to various Ministry of Health programmes.
Key Responsibilities and Accountability
- Provide effective leadership of the NMRL, including budget planning and financial management.
- Coordinates all national surveys and research studies conducted at /or through NMRL
- Supervises evaluation of new technologies and oversees rollout.
- Oversees testing decentralization to ensure capacitation of sub-national laboratories
- Works closely with all coordinators within the directorate of lab services to ensure full support of various programmes by the reference laboratory
- Coordinates the laboratory component of disease outbreak response in liaison with other departments within the Ministry of Health.
- Contributing to national laboratory service policy formulation, review and implementation.
- Serves as a technical expert on enhancing laboratory systems and implementation of laboratory quality standards
- Ensure implementation of quality policy, implement a safe working environment in compliance with good practice and applicable requirements.
- Ensure the provision of technical advice by the reference laboratory to all disease programmes
- Monitor all work performed in the laboratory to determine that clinically relevant information is being generated.
- Design and implement a contingency plan to ensure that essential services remain uninterrupted
- Plan and direct research and development, where appropriate.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- HBMLS or Equivalent from a reputable University
- Post-graduate training in Public Health, Clinical Epidemiology or Microbiology is an added advantage
- At least 5 years post graduate experience
- Verified experience in a management position is key
- Ability to liaise with other ministry of health stakeholders to achieve programme goals
- Proven computer competence with spreadsheet, word processing, presentation and database applications
The post is for an initial period of one year renewable on good performance.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their CV’s, a cover letter and proof of qualifications.
The Secretary for Health
Ministry of Health and Child Care
PO Box CY 1122, Causeway
1st Floor, Kaguvi Building
Fourth Street/Central Avenue
Salary and benefits will be notified to short-listed candidates.
Closing date for advert: 03 May 2022