- Post Date:August 11, 2022
- Views 450
- Career Level ManagerQualification Master’s DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
Friendship Bench is a non-profit dedicated to creating safe spaces and a sense of belonging for millions of individuals who currently lack access to quality mental health care. Guided by values of empathy and connection, and anchored in over a decade of rigorous research, Friendship Bench has re-imagined the delivery of evidence-based mental healthcare in low-resource settings by training community health workers (also known as lay health workers or affectionately, as “grandmothers” to provide basic Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, with an emphasis on Problem Solving Therapy, as well as facilitating peer-led support groups. To date, Friendship Bench has reached more than 85,000 clients and achieved a 61% reduction in depression and suicidal ideation. Over the next 5 years, Friendship Bench aims to provide access to mental health for 5 million people in Africa and beyond.
Friendship Bench has been supported by organizations including Grand Challenges Canada, Draper Richards Kaplan Foundation, Comic Relief, Mulago Foundation, Elevate Prize Foundation, DovetailFoundation, Schooner Foundation and Grand Challenges Africa and has also been recognized by TED, BBC, TIME, World Economic Forum, The Guardian, and others.
About the Role
The Development Manager will play a critical role in helping Friendship Bench achieve its vision to provide high-quality mental health services to millions of individuals. As a rapidly growing organization with an annual budget of $2,7 million USD, our fundraising is projected to increase significantly over the next 3 years. We are seeking an experienced and motivated manager to help us build strong, efficient systems and the right momentum to manage our prospects, increase our conversation rate and maintain great relations with our current funders.
In collaboration with our CEO + COO, the Development Manager will play a key role in shaping our fundraising strategy, managing relationships, and securing the funds that we need to continue to expand the depth and breadth of our programs across the African continent and beyond.
This is a dynamic and exciting opportunity for someone who is highly self-driven, entrepreneurial and passionate about mental health, fundraising and partnerships, and working in sub–Saharan Africa.
Build Funder Pipeline & Opportunities
- Research and scope new potential funders and resource mobilization opportunities in collaboration with the leadership team
- Develop and maintain a robust fundraising database
- Conduct and participate in meetings with new prospective funders as needed
- In collaboration with the leadership team, contributing to shaping our fundraising strategies.
- Build and maintain relationships with existing funders.
Drive Internal Fundraising Systems & Project Management
- Oversee the development of an efficient and effective front-to-end fundraising process for Friendship Bench
- Develop strong systems around processing and acknowledging gifts and long-term stewardship of donor relationships
- Help the team identify opportunities for creating more efficient systems for tracking opportunities and relationships with potential funders and improving our fundraising process
- Follow up with donors and/or ghostwrite emails where appropriate
Oversee Grant Proposal Writing and Reporting
- In collaboration with the leadership and programs team, lead in the conceptualization and project management of grant proposals and all funding requests
- Write, revise, and submit targeted pitches, proposal submissions, prize applications, and grant renewals
- Maintain and oversee a grants calendar with key deadlines and action plans
- Oversee all our donor reporting activities and schedule
Oversee Funder Engagement and Communication
- Generate and maintain external content that persuasively outlines FB’s vision as it aligns with current and prospective partners’ priorities
- Work closely with FB’s communications lead to create engaging and informative content for our diverse stakeholders and community
- Host and co-ordinate donor visits with an ability to combine program knowledge, hospitality, and active listening to ensure a good experience and appropriate follow up.
- Manage the agenda, material/document creation and logistics for our monthly and quarterly communication for our funder community and for our board outreach efforts.
- Support the leadership team in preparing materials for events, conferences and relevant presentations
Drive Innovative Fundraising Initiatives
- Create and implement innovative fundraising strategies aimed at building a strong pool of individual donors. Including direct reach out, running impactful campaigns etc.
- Lead in the exploration of potential revenue streams for FB’s services (e.g. scaling strategy)
What we are looking for
- You are passionate and excited by the opportunity to reimagine and create innovative and transformational mental health solutions.
- You have 7-10 years of work experience in the impact space with at least 3 solid years in the development, fundraising, business development, and/or program management role. Bachelor’s degree required.
- You have a track record in writing grant proposals and funding pitches. You have coordinated grant applications in teams ranging from 10,000 – 500,000 USD leading in roles such as aligning programs and funder interested, proposal writing and budgeting.
- You are an excellent communicator with strong written communication skills.
- You are great at coalition-building skills with a strong ability to work with a variety of stakeholders and to communicate impact in a rigorous and compelling way.
- You have experience building, using and maintaining an efficient and effective donor management system or CRM tool for other relationship management.
- You have a thorough understanding of project management and implementation; able to work effectively under pressure to meet tight deadlines and goals. You have a good understanding of programming, MEL and budgeting.
- You are highly organized, self-motivated, and able to wear multiple hats in an ambiguous, fast-moving environment
- You are a strong collaborator who is able to drive results with a diverse team.
- You are a highly enterprising individual who loves to work in agile start-up environments. You are comfortable with ambiguity and can successfully deliver results in fast-changing environments.
- You are an innovative and strategic thinker who is not afraid to try new ideas to create impactful results
- Knowledge of mental health and community/public health a plus.
- Experience working at an international non-profit organization in a senior leadership position and knowledge of the international philanthropic landscape, network of foundations, high net worth individuals or corporations is a plus.
Why Work at Friendship Bench?
- Make the world a better place: Every member of our team contributes to ensuring there is a Friendship Bench within walking distance for all who need it.
- Be at the forefront of reimagining the delivery of mental health care: Friendship Bench has been selected by Ministries of Health and other partners to redesign the way that millions access evidence-based mental health care, and we are scaling rapidly.
- Join a diverse, energetic team of individuals: Our team brings deep passion and often a personal connection to the work we do, and we take a highly collaborative approach to building a model that can achieve our vision for impact at scale.
- Build an exciting career and gain significant exposure: As the first development hire in a growing organization, there will be ample opportunity for growth and new experiences for someone who is eager to learn and build new skills and capabilities.
- The role is ideally based in Harare, Zimbabwe, else sub-Saharan African. Work permit will be facilitated where required.
- Travel is required but not immediately.
- The typical work hours are 8.30/9 am to 4.30 pm Southern African Time.
- Ideal start date in October/November 2022.
- Our contracts are 12 months long and renewable annually.
Want to Apply?
- Fill in the form under this link: https://bit.ly/FBDMApplication
- The selection process consists of case studies, personality tests, interviews, and references checks. It will be carried out in collaboration with Edge Performance, our HR partner based in Nairobi.
- Please take a look at our candidate guide http://bit.ly/CandidatesGuide
- Based on the number of applications, only shortlisted candidates may be communicated with.
Friendship Bench values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, and foreign-born residents to apply