- Post Date:August 3, 2022
- Views 898
- Career Level SpecialistQualification Master’s DegreeExperience 3-5 Years
The Southern African Power Pool (SAPP) was established in April 1995 under the Southern African Development Community (SADC) Treaty with the aim to optimise the use of available electrical energy resources amongst the SADC member countries and support one another during emergencies. SAPP is seeking for applications from suitably qualified, experienced, and self-driven candidates to fill in the position of Environmental Specialist.
Scope of work:
The Environmental Specialist shall ensure sustainable generation capacity and transmission link developments in the SAPP region through sound economic, environmental, and social practices that ensure value for money to all customers.
- Provide guidance and advice on environmental and social impact assessments (ESIAs), and strategic environmental assessments for SAPP generation and interconnection projects.
- Develop, review, and facilitate implementation of regional environmental management standards in-line with world best practices.
- Recommend harmonization of regional environmental legislation relating to electrical energy in the whole production chain.
- Formulate key performance indicators for ESIAs for SAPP interconnector projects.
- Determine the environmental risks that affect the sustainability of SAPP.
- Develop and review ESIAs guidelines for use by members during generation and transmission projects planning.
- Prepare terms of reference and select consultants for ESIA studies.
- Recommend risk mitigation measures.
- Provide advice on international climate change conventions and migration to climate resilient projects.
- Develop and review environmental policies and adaptation strategies.
- Develop climate change instruments such as the SAPP Grid Emission Factor to attract climate finance to the region.
- Identify capacity building needs for Environmental Sub-Committee (ESC) members.
- Identify suitable consultants and institutions to carry out capacity building for ESC members.
- Arrange capacity building programs and produce reports.
- Promote awareness of best environmental practices through publicity and other initiatives.
- Provide secretarial services – drafting the agenda, minuting, guiding, following up on action items and reporting – to the ESC.
- Produce and present reports and bulletins on environmental issues.
- Provide environmental input to organisational plans.
- Participate in forums including live discussions and broadcast programmes on environmental issues that affect the electricity industry.
- Liaise with environmental organisations at all levels.
Qualifications and experience:
- Master’s degree in environmental management, social sciences, or a related field is desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental management, social sciences, or a related field.\
- Corporate membership to a professional body.
- SADC nationality and possession of a valid passport to travel within the SADC region and beyond.
- 3 years’ relevant working experience.
- Achievement orientation,
- Analytical thinking,
- Organisation awareness,
- Paying attention to detail,
- Resource management,
- Planning and organizing,
- Teamwork and cooperation,
- Concern for quality and order,
- Media discernment.
Duration of assignment: The duration of assignment is for an initial period of 5 years with a probation period of 3 months.
Selection process: Shortlisted candidates will be required to go through a comprehensive selection process.
Interested candidates should submit their applications, qualifications, and CVs (either by email, post, or delivery of hard copies) clearly marked on the subject line or envelope, “Environmental Specialist”, not later than 16:30 hours CAT on 22 August 2022 to:
The SAPP CC Executive Director
Southern African Power Pool
24 Golden Stairs Road
P.O. Box EH52,
Email: [email protected]