Livelihoods - Advisor, Design, Monitoring & Evaluation
- Post Date:November 30, 2022
- Views 328
- Career Level OtherQualification Master’s DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
Location: Harare, Zimbabwe
Time Type: Full time
Job Requisition ID: R13912
Applicant Types Accepted: Local and International Applicants (IA’s) Accepted
Employee Contract Type: International Assignment – Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
With over 70 years of experience, our focus is on helping the most vulnerable children overcome poverty and experience fullness of life. We help children of all backgrounds, even in the most dangerous places, inspired by our Christian faith.
Come join our 34,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries and share the joy of transforming vulnerable children’s life stories!
The Advisor, Design, Monitoring & Evaluation will provide global support and leadership for World Vision’s monitoring, evaluation, and research in this sector across the Partnership in order to improve the effectiveness, impact, and quality of programming and advocacy.
The Advisor, Design, Monitoring & Evaluation is responsible for setting and maintaining global sector M&E standards, strengthening capability in sector M&E, and leading the development of sector M&E guidance and tools in collaboration with other sectors and the global DME team. The position also provides global technical leadership, coordination, and oversight for all research in this sector across the WV Partnership.
Technical Leadership for Sector Monitoring and Evaluation
- Lead or contribute to the development of the sector:
- theories of change
- log frames, including indicators
- M&E framework
- M&E tools
- Global metrics to monitor strategic priorities and quality of interventions
- Lead continuous improvement of sector M&E based on the ongoing review of internal and external industry standard indicators and measurement tools
- Provide technical support to project model development/refinement focusing on the development of standards for M&E logframe, standard measurement indicators, beneficiary definition, M&E plan, minimum quality standards, and their measurement tools and processes including implementation fidelity and key processes during the use of PMs
- Review and advise the Design & Implementation Quality Assurance (DIQA) tools for project modell
- Support scale-up of the use of high-quality formative research tools
- Develop/design implementation research proposals/protocols based on WV’s global standards
- Support development of tools and methodology for deep dive review of project model or sector approach in one country to ascertain quality /impact)
Provide sector-specific leadership and technical input into DME guidance and materials
- Provide sector expertise for the development of WV global DME standards, practices, and tools
- Provide technical input to the DME team for sector-specific TP design, baseline, monitoring, and evaluation capacity building for RO and FO staff
- Develop user-friendly guidance for sector-specific DM&E measurement tools. Guidance may include specifics about:
- How and when to measure with the sector-specific tool
- Sampling and sample size calculations
- Demonstrating statistically-significant change
- QA/QI and data integrity
- Ethical guidance
- Accurate counting of beneficiary numbers
- Review and revise sector-specific root cause analysis toolkits for developing and fragile contexts
- Provide technical input into LEAP 3 guidance and provide feedback on revisions from the global sector teams
Sectoral M&E capability strengthening
- Work with the DME team, Sector teams, and TSO to develop sector-specific DME competencies and training/development materials
- Facilitate capacity building of FO and SO staff, and other key stakeholders in M&E and research and in the utilization of data for project planning and management
- Collaborate with the Evidence Building team to support organization-wide strategic data analysis to enhance evidence-based decision making
- Ensure alignment and support quality data for strategic reporting mechanisms, such as the Global CWB Report, Partner Impact Management Framework, OP 2030 Strategy Dashboard, and Strategic Initiatives, Sector Dashboards, and Global (It Takes a World) Campaign. This includes:
- Contributing to the design of reporting process, including user-friendly guidance to FOs
- Aligning system indicators with data being collected by FOs and existing systems where possible
- Advising and overseeing methods of ensuring accurate recording/reporting
- Data analysis and quality assurance checks
- Collaborate with Global sectors teams on the analysis and writing of global reports, including the global CWB reports.
Research and evidence building
- Provide leadership for the development and implementation of a global sector research plan, including an evidence-building plan for core and emerging project models, liaising closely with the Evidence Building team in alignment with the Global Evidence Agenda, and following WV Partnership research standards and protocols.
- Provide technical leadership and coordination for sector research implemented by WV or in collaboration with external academic and other partners
- Work with the sector team to ensure the utilization of research findings and recommendations
- In collaboration with the Evidence Building team, lead the documentation, publication, and internal/external dissemination of sector research, including publishing in peer-reviewed journals
- Provide M&E and research technical input for grant acquisition as needed.
- Provide M&E and research technical support to the sector team.
- Collaborate with SO and RO staff to utilize programming indicators and articulate evidence of impact for marketing use.
- Explore and support mobile solutions for data collection
- Maintain networks with academic and other research institutions, UN and NGO forums to learn about developments in sector DME and research approaches, seek partnerships to benefit WV, and share evidence and learning from WV programming
- Participate in external forums to represent and present World Vision sector M&E and Research Evidence approaches
- Prepare presentations for WV leaders to share at key events
- Publish M&E papers in appropriate journals to disseminate WV’s work
- Other tasks as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Seven years practical experience in conducting and leading sector programme-related M&E and Research
- Demonstrated quantitative and qualitative evaluation and research skills
- Experience in developing monitoring and evaluation systems (including indicators, instruments, and methodologies), for sector programmes
- Master’s degree or PhD in measurement, research and evaluation
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English; language skills in Spanish and/or French preferred.
Preferred Knowledge & Qualifications
- Spanish and/or French preferred.
- Minimum 7 years practical experience in sector programme design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation capacity building
- Excellent understanding and skills in sector measurement sampling and sample size estimation, and determining significance of results.
- Understanding of WV sector programming, development approach and global partnership strategy
- Experience using and building capacity to use information technology for data collection/processing
- Experience publishing in peer review journals
- Experience leading evaluation and research teams
- Experience collaborating with external partners on DME and research activities
- Experience making intellectual / academic presentations in international forums