Mechanization Field Officer
- Post Date:November 18, 2022
- Views 255
- Career Level OfficerQualification DegreeExperience 3-5 Years
- Industry Agriculture
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not -for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking 3 skilled and motivated candidates to fill the positions of Mechanization Field Officer to provide support to the USAID-funded “Feed the Future Zimbabwe Mechanization and Extension Activity” of CIMMYT being implemented in Zimbabwe initially from November 2022 to September 2024.
The job incumbent will work closely with CIMMYT staff to establish mechanization service providers, establish, and monitor specialized research trials in appropriate-scale mechanization, develop and implement programmes to provide technical and business training and support to service providers, mechanics, local manufacturers/artisans, and extension agents on appropriate-scale mechanization as wanted and needed by different objectives of the activity. The staff will co-ordinate and develop collaboration at the hub level with other projects in smallholder mechanization and agricultural intensification and develop and implement work plan. The staff will also collect and analyze trial and business data, test machinery, and assist in local modifications and fabrication.
These positions are based in the Field Office in Masvingo/Manicaland Province, Zimbabwe and are open to all Zimbabweans with excellent academic track records.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish mechanization and irrigation service providers in the Activity areas in partnership with private sector and financial partners and other Feed the Future (FTF) activities.
- Provide technical support to mechanization and irrigation service providers and collect and process their mechanization business/income, expenditure, and repair and maintenance data.
- Establish and monitor on-farm mechanization and irrigation trials/demonstrations as per protocols and collect and organize machinery, soil, and agronomic data as per instructions provided.
- Organize awareness meetings, field days, fairs, and other promotional activities in partnership with project partners.
- Assess new and existing farm machinery and other technologies, collect user feedback, prepare reports; and improve machinery in partnership with local manufacturers.
- Support local manufacturers (manufacturing machinery or spares) and local machinery and spare part dealers at the project district.
- Demonstrate, repair, and maintain farm machinery, irrigation equipment, and engines.
- Develop training curricula and train farmers, mechanization service providers, manufacturers, dealers, NGO staff and other partners on operation, repair, trouble shooting, maintenance, and fabrication of farm machinery and irrigation equipment.
- Provide technical support to the SPs, record their machinery problems, and develop solutions in partnership with local manufacturers and machinery suppliers.
- Develop and regularly update database of machinery suppliers, manufacturers, part dealers at project districts.
- Support preparation of technical bulletins, leaflets, and other promotional materials.
- Liaise with other USAID FTF and related activities in the locality and identify and implement activities of mutual benefits.
- Assist Activity team in implementing their research and field activities.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- MS in Farm Machinery/Mechanization or related field or BSc Agricultural Engineering with minimum three years of relevant experience.
- Have experience in establishment and monitoring of research experiments involving seeders and other smallholder machinery.
- Clean Class 3 & 4 driver’s license is a must. Defensive Driving Certificate will be an added advantage.
- The selected candidates must exhibit the following competencies: Critical Thinking, Teamwork, Client Orientation and Communication.
How to apply
Interested candidates must apply online here for Z22197, 98, 99_Mechanization Field Officer, no later than Sunday, November 20th, 2022.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality. Women candidates are encouraged to apply.