Mechanization R&D Engineer
- Post Date:November 18, 2022
- Views 282
- Career Level EngineerQualification DegreeExperience 3-5 Years
- Industry Agriculture
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not -for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a skilled and motivated candidate to fill the position of Mechanization R&D Engineer, to provide support to the USAID-funded “Feed the Future Zimbabwe Mechanization and Extension Activity” of CIMMYT being implemented in Zimbabwe initially from November 2022 to September 2024.
The job incumbent will work closely with CIMMYT staff to conduct specialized research on appropriate-scale mechanization, develop and implement training programmes to provide technical and business training, and support service providers, mechanics, local manufacturers/artisans, and extension agents on appropriate-scale mechanization as wanted and needed by different objectives of the activity. The staff will develop CAD models of machinery (design, simulation, and analysis), fabricate and evaluate them, establish networks of mechanization service providers and demonstration trials, collect and analyze trial and business data, and conduct trainings as per requirements of the activity.
This position is based in the CIMMYT, SARO, Harare, Zimbabwe and is open to all Zimbabweans with excellent academic track records.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assess new and existing farm machinery and other technologies, collect user feedback, prepare reports; and improve machinery in partnership with local manufacturers.
- Conduct second generation engineering to improve machinery and develop and analyze CAD models using SolidWorks® and guideline for local manufacturing.
- Assess and recommend appropriate models of farm machinery and irrigation equipment suitable for the service providers and assist in the procurement process.
- Develop experimental protocols, prepare machinery, and establish and monitor on-station and on-farm mechanization and irrigation trials/demonstrations and collect and organize machinery, soil, and agronomic data as per the protocols and instructions provided.
- Demonstrate, repair, and maintain on-station farm machinery and irrigation equipment, and engines.
- Develop training modules to train service providers, operators, manufacturers, mechanics, dealers, etc. on farm machinery and irrigation equipment.
- Support establishment of mechanization and irrigation service providers in the Activity areas and provide technical support.
- Analyze and report mechanization business/income, expenditure, and repair and maintenance data of service providers.
- Assess farm machinery and other technologies, collect user feedback, prepare reports, and improve machinery as per instructions provided.
- Conduct literature review and support manuscript and report writing and other reporting as required.
- Support local manufacturers (manufacturing machinery or spares) and local machinery and spare part dealers at the provincial levels.
- Conduct training of farmers, mechanization service providers, manufacturers, dealers, NGO staff and other partners on operation, repair, trouble shooting, maintenance, and fabrication of farm machinery and irrigation equipment.
- Develop and regularly update database of machinery suppliers, manufacturers, part dealers at the provincial levels.
- Support preparation of technical bulletins, leaflets, and other promotional materials.
- Assist the Activity team in research, including development of machinery and survey focused research data collection in collaboration with farmers, agricultural service providers, and the public and private sector.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- MS in Farm Machinery/Mechanization or related field with 3 years of relevant experience or BSc Agricultural Engineering with 5 years of relevant experience.
- Have experience in establishment and monitoring of research experiments involving seeders and other smallholder machinery.
- Skilled in design and fabrication of farm machinery and skilled in development, analysis, and simulation of CAD models using SolidWorks®.
- Have published research articles in scientific journals.
- Clean Class 3 & 4 driver’s license is a must. Defensive Driving Certificate will be an added advantage.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Critical and Creative Thinking, Teamwork, Communication and Client Orientation.
How to apply
Interested candidates must apply online here for Z22211_Mechanization R&D Engineer, no later than Sunday, November 20th, 2022.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality. Women candidates are encouraged to apply.