Non-timber Forest Products Technical Advisor Consultant - Zimbabwe and Remote
- Post Date:February 25, 2023
- Views 94
- Career Level ConsultantQualification Master’s DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Agriculture
Job Title: Non-timber Forest Products Technical Advisor Consultant – Zimbabwe and Remote
Location: Zimbabwe ZW (Primary) and remote
Job Type: Part-time
Career Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Education: Master’s Degree
Travel: Up to 25%
Cultivating New Frontiers in Agriculture (CNFA) is an international agricultural development organization, based in Washington DC, that specializes in the design and implementation of sustainable, enterprise-based agricultural initiatives. We work with businesses, foundations, governments, and communities to build customized local and global partnerships that meet the world’s growing demand for food. CNFA currently implements multiple USAID-funded development programs in Zimbabwe supporting food security and income generation activities with smallholder farmers and rural communities.
CNFA is currently seeking qualified consultant to serve as a Technical Advisor for Non-Timber Forest Products (NTFP) activities in Zimbabwe. CNFA anticipates engaging the consultant to provide intermittent advisory services both on site and remotely with an initial level of effort of approximately 40 days over a 6-month period, and the possibility of ongoing support thereafter. The consultant will serve as a technical advisor, helping design NTFP studies, contributing to program strategy development, advising on certification standards for export markets, and developing protocols for sustainable harvesting thresholds and practices. The consultant will provide advisory services based on global best practices for CNFA and private sector partners seeking to increase incomes for farmers and community-based NTFP suppliers and to improve environmental stewardship by expanding the sustainable commercialization of NTFPs for domestic and export markets.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic technical direction on the sustainable commercialization of non-timber forest products in Zimbabwe to inform program design and implementation;
- Support the design and implementation of targeted technical studies, such as research to refine target areas for specific NTFPs;
- Collaboratively develop guidance to ensure sustainable harvesting practices and appropriate environmental protection protocols are in place;
- Advise on certification standards, storage and processing facility upgrades, and farmer/collector technologies and best practices;
- Review and provide input on training materials for NTFP collectors and farmers;
- Contribute to activity planning and reporting processes with review of technical materials;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of experience and expertise in the sustainable commercialization of non-timber forest products;
- Master’s degree in natural resource management, forestry, agriculture, or similar relevant field.
- International experience in the field of non-timer forest products and strong familiarity with global best practices. Regional experience in southern Africa, and specifically Zimbabwe, is strongly preferred.
- Experience with the supply and markets for NTFPs found in Zimbabwe such as baobab, marula, moringa, gotu kola, Kalahari melon, devil’s claw, and Ximenia is preferred.
- Experience designing targeted research on NTFP supply and markets.
- Strong technical expertise, management skills, and a strong command of English technical writing and communication skills.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status. CNFA takes affirmative action in support of its policy to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.
CNFA IS PROUD TO BE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER It is the policy of CNFA to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons, regardless of age, race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, political affiliation, marital status, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, membership or non-membership in an employee organization, veteran status, or on the basis of personal favoritism or other non-merit factors, except where otherwise provided by law.
REASONABLE ACCOMODATION & CONTACT INFORMATION CNFA provides a reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please contact the CNFA Home Office Human Resources Department via email at [email protected] or via phone at 202-296-3920 if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job with us.