- Post Date:December 28, 2022
- Views 820
- Career Level ManagerQualification DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
ATHENA was created to advance gender equity and human rights at the intersection of HIV, women’s rights, SRHR, and GBV. Formally launched in 2005, ATHENA plays a policy formulation, capacity-building and network-convening role, working with partners at the national and regional level.
ATHENA recognises that only when women and girls in all their diversity can know, claim, and action their rights, will we achieve SRHR, stem the tide of HIV infections, end gender-based violence, and actualize global health. We promote and facilitate the inclusive leadership of women and girls, including gender diverse persons, and we put the most affected at the center of our work. We create opportunities for women – and especially girls in their diversity – to develop, engage, influence, and implement the programmes, policies, advocacy, and research that affect them. We bridge the local and the global in meaningful ways, and work across gender, human rights, SRHR, GBV, and HIV. We contribute to the next generation of feminist leadership and movement-building. More, with the renewed attention to and urgency of pandemic preparedness, response, and recovery, we have worked to ensure that we are informing and driving a gendered COVID-19 response that works for adolescent girls and young women in their diversity.
Our current team is based mainly across Eastern, Western and Southern Africa, with core team members based in Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, and the United States,. Nearly all our team members are young African feminists who have lived with the impacts of HIV in their communities and their families.
We bring our expertise across policy development, participatory action research, advocacy, programming, youth involvement, meaningful engagement, leadership development, and consultation, while ensuring and advancing local accountability.
ATHENA is seeking a Program Manager to drive our program strategy, lead on program design, management, reporting and evaluation and support the Executive Director with resource mobilization.
About the Position
Reporting to the Executive Director, the program manager will provide external strategic guidance and direction to oversee internal programming,lead donor reporting, and various administration and operation aspects for ATHENA, including general supervision of consultants and program staff in consultation with the Executive Director.
- Serve as the defacto programs and projects lead providing oversight and strategic direction for program strategy across ATHENA
- Take leadership in the delivery of ATHENA Network’s flagship programs, their design, evaluation and scale up as needed as opportunities arise
- Oversee internal organizational operations including direct management of program budgets and internal coordination
- Draft and review organizational and program reports, including documentation of activities with support from core staff and program consultants
- Amplify the work done under ATHENA various programs in partnership with the communications and advocacy lead
- Oversee core team staff and program consultants, including supervision and evaluation with support and guidance from the Executive Director
- With the Executive Director, lead and support the monitoring, evaluation, and learning of ATHENA’s programs
- Support and work with core staff and program consultants in knowledge dissemination of outcomes from ATHENA’s programs and projects
Organizational/Network Guidance and Strategy
- With the Executive Director, advocate for ATHENA and maintain the organization’s public image by being active and visible in the HIV, SRHR and women’s rights community(ies) and working closely with existing partners
- With the Executive Director, build and maintain external relationships with funders/donors/influencers
- Provide technical and content expertise in HIV prevention, treatment, and care from a rights-based perspective as relates to analysis of relevant policies at the national and global levels to inform ATHENA’s direction and focus, in line with the strategic plan
Desired Qualifications and Attributes
- Advanced degree highly preferred, or equivalent professional experience
- Fluency in English required.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience required with progressive, feminist organizations or grassroots networks working to advance women’s human rights, especially women living with HIV; or in international development , global health or related fields
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience required in management or supervision
- Successful track record supporting a non-profit organization with budget management
- Commitment to ATHENA’s mission to advance the recognition, protection, and fulfillment of women’s and girls’ human rights, comprehensively and inclusively, as a fundamental component of the response to HIV and AIDS
- Ability to work independently in a virtual environment, while communicating progress and support needed
- Excellent mentorship, communications and leadership skills, follow-through, attention to detail and ability to multitask
- Action-oriented, self-directed, flexible, and principled in organizational management
- Willingness to travel as needed
How To Apply
Kindly submit CV or resume and cover letter to [email protected] by 30th December 2023 with the email subject: Program Manager Application – [Full Name].
Early applications are highly encouraged as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with a start date expected to be in mid January 2023.
Compensation: For this position, we offer a one year contract, with the possibility of extension (subject to availability of funding and performance). Compensation and benefits are offered in line with ATHENA’s remuneration policy and according to sector standards and will be discussed with shortlisted candidates.